Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Moment to Reflect on Technology and Leadership


 

As I complete ILD 831, I find myself in deep reflection about what it means to be a servant leader in a flattened world. How can I challenge myself to lead others while enacting meaningful impactful change? I desire to live a life rooted in the Ignatius principle of “cura personalis” or to care for the entire individual or person (2000 p.181).” In my previous endeavors I have known there was always a critical construct within me that was missing or going unfulfilled. Even as someone that has led divisions of an organization, living quarters within an adult correction facility or providing counseling to juveniles and adults, I knew something essential was missing. What I learned through this program and in particular this course was to be more receptive to ideologies that were different than my own and how to utilize converging technologies for the benefit of everyone and not solely those in my community.  I am more cognizant that in order to be successful as a leader I need to be conscious of the thinking process. According to Wells (1998), “the notion of process gives direction and purpose to thinking.” I must have a more heightened awareness to the possibilities when engaging in the thinking process and in the completion of tasks.  

 

          Most importantly, this course has allowed me to understand that in order to live a fulfilled life I must, seek opportunities that will allow me to adopt those  Ignatius principles, in work, home and in my everyday communication with others. To be open, receptive and when called to act on behalf of fellow citizens in need, to be ready. Through this course I have learned that the world is bigger than California, America, and even the western hemisphere. I have been passionate about reform on every level for years but have done little to really help others in need. Millions go without a proper education. Millions more go without a suitable meal or a place to call home. Being part of this relatively new flattened world through the creation of technological advances like the internet has also allowed organizations like the Red Cross, and RED to spread its message. Serving millions devastated by natural disasters or to help protect against the spread of diseases like HIV and AIDS.  This graduate program and in particular ILD 831 has taught me, that if we possess the resources, the will and the might, we should help positively change the world. For those fortunate enough to have read The World is Flat 3.0 and specifically, the Ten Forces that Flattened the World, they will soon come to the realization that many of the answers that have troubled our society is largely due to our reluctance to accept the following; the key to understanding our worlds complexities and those around us means stepping beyond the comforts of our front door step and utilizing every resource available and doing something about it.

 

Duminuco, V.J. (2000). The Jesuit Ratio Studiorum: 400th Anniversary Perspectives. New York. Fordham University Press.

Wells, S. (1998). Choosing the Future: The power of strategic thinking. Burlington: Elsevier.

 

Friedman, T.L. (2005). The world is flat 3.0: A brief history of the twentieth century. New York: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux.

6 comments:

  1. Aubrey:

    Your reflection is so heartfelt and inspiring. It really is. Each week as we grind through papers, etc., I need to do more reflection on the Ignatian way -- why I joined this program in the first place. Keep in touch and best of luck going forward.

    Rope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roper Burns. I understand we are in our next course together as well. Look forward to speaking you in the coming days.

      Delete
  2. “the notion of process gives direction and purpose to thinking.”…

    Your quote from Wells coupled with your observations from Ignatian traditions is the thing I fear we will lose sight of as leaders. The thinking is what is important. The intent is paramount. The process is what enables us to carry out our intent.
    Technology and a “flattened world” consciousness enable the thoughts to become actions or perhaps equally importantly, to stimulate thought and action in others. Those who would be servant leaders need to be flexible and well-versed in the new flat world technologies, else the followers will move on too quickly. But I still worry about the process dictating the result. A saying I’ve tried to adopt and pattern some of my work after is “just because you should do something doesn’t mean you can; just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.” Unfortunately, many have not thought past the second part of the adage. I look at all the work my students produce; it comes to me from multiple platforms (just listen to me…”platforms”…jargon, OUCH!) in forms I never imagined. I get videos instead of writing a paper, PowerPoint presentations that seemingly sing and dance and jump up and down with every slide. Yet I also get shocked and disappointed responses when I have to inform them that their grade is low…the presentation was dazzling, the content abysmal. And not to be completely cynical, but it never ceases to amaze me how the rate of computer problems and other technological failures increases almost exponentially during finals week…astounding! My point is that we are still dealing with people, people who have a vast amount of resources never before available, but still people.

    Keep your heightened awareness of the thinking process at the forefront; use your heightened awareness of the technology to advance your cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thrillled to read your reference to servant leadership. I often forget the interconnectedness of our courses. I also strive to be a servant leader and now I can reflect on how the principles of this course can further my pursuits. As we have discussed, leadership in the digital age is much different from past generations. The top-down hierarchies of the past are ineffective to lead effectively. A leader is no longer "the expert" who has exclusive rights to certain information. These changes, I believe, reinforce the need for servant leaders to model humility and equality at all times. As leaders, we "are" members of the ranks now; we share the same information and we rely on others as much as they rely on us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aubrey, your classmates summed it up nicely. I love how you have integrated the possibilities associated with a wired world with the call for action of the Ignatius principles. I hope this course has helped expand the definition of "stepping beyond the comforts of our front door step." We have new tools to do that, but we still need servant leaders willing to step out.

    Best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete